Universal Property & Casualty Insurance History
Universal Property & Casualty (UPCIC) is a Florida property insurance company located in Fort Lauderdale. The company opened here in Florida in 1997 and is a subsidiary of Universal Insurance Holding Company of Florida. Since then, the company has expanded to 18 states writing coverage through the Universal and American Platinum brands.
What Insurance Universal P&C Offers
- Florida Homeowner’s Insurance (HO-2, HO-3, HO-5, and HO-8 policies) HO-3 is most common, while HO-8 is usually for older homes that don’t meet all of their underwriting guidelines.
- Florida Condo Insurance (HO-6)
- Florida Renter’s Insurance (HO-4)
- Florida Landlord Insurance (DP-1, DP-2, and DP-3) DP-3 is most common and broadest coverage, while DP-1 has less underwriting restrictions.
Universal Property & Casualty Benefits
One of the big benefits with Universal is their ability to insure more properties. Because they offer so many types of policies, more properties fit their underwriting guidelines under at least one of their policy types. Whether a home is brand new or 100 years old, there is a policy through UPCIC (subject to other underwriting guidelines,)
For older properties, these are some of the guidelines that make Universal Property & Casualty competitive in today’s market:
- Roof Age – While many companies are only writing new policies with roofs less than 10 years old, as of now, UPCIC will write shingle roofs up to 20 years old on their main policy types. If the roof is older, we can see if other policy types will allow them.
- Plumbing types – Many carriers no longer allow galvanized pipes. UPCIC only restricts polybutylene pipes (all) and Pex pipes prior to 2010 on their main policies. If you have polybutylene or older Pex, it may still be eligible under another UPCIC policy type.
The list of ineligible dog breeds is much shorter with Universal, so more policies are eligible. Be aware, that there is an animal liability exclusion, so while they will write the coverage for the home, you will need a separate policy for dog liability if you want that coverage.
Trampoline, Diving Board, or Pool Slides
Properties with trampolines, diving boards, and pool slides are accepted on owner occupied properties, although there may be a liability exclusion for these risks.
The company will write policies in many types of entities depending on certain details. Land Trusts, LLC, Corporations, Family Trusts, Estates, etc. Many real estate investors like to use these types of entities, but it can be difficult getting the property insured. We will review your situation to make sure it meets eligibility, but UPCIC will allow these entities in many cases.
Why We Have Chosen to Work with Universal Property & Casualty
Universal Property & Casualty is one of the largest private home insurance companies in Florida with almost 10% market share. Their broader underwriting guidelines and allowing entities make it a great company for older homes or investment properties.
If you have any questions or need a quote, contact our team today! You can call us at 813-425-1626 or request a quote online. We are happy to help, and we can compare your policy with multiple carriers to make sure that you have the right coverage at the best price.